Sogevinus ensures continuity of partnership with Jean-Claude Berrouet for Quinta da Boavista wines
Jean-Claude Berrouet, winner of the prestigious Winemakers´ Winemaker Award in 2018, will continue to consult for Quinta da Boavista, the Douro estate recently acquired by the Sogevinus group. A staunch defender of terroir, Berrouet, who for more than four decades was responsible for Château Pétrus, will remain linked to the Portuguese project he embraced in 2013, allowing the viticulture and oenology teams at Quinta da Boavista to learn from his unique experience in the production of wines of exceptional quality. Berrouet’s aim for Boavista has always been to reflect the uniqueness of these historic vineyards located in the heart of the Douro. "A wine must tell the story of its origin", he says. According to Berrouet, wines must express their terroir, and exude elegance.
The consultant winemaker will work closely with Carla Maria Dias Tiago, the oenologist responsible for Quinta da Boavista wines. Born in Torre de Moncorvo, in the Douro Superior, Tiago studied Biochemistry at the University of Porto, and has been part of the Sogevinus winemaking team for 15 years (alongside Ricardo Macedo - responsible for Kopke's still wines and Carlos Alves, responsible for Port wines).
For Sergio Marly, Sogevinus CEO, “it is an honour for Sogevinus to be able to count on the experience of a winemaker like Jean-Claude Berrouet, a global reference in the world of wine, to continue the Quinta da Boavista project. This Quinta has been internationally recognised for the quality and excellence of its wines since 2013 and it is our goal to continue producing great wines in this unique terroir.”
The iconic Quinta da Boavista was part of the first demarcation of the Douro region, conducted by the Marquis of Pombal, in 1756, and is represented in the “Mappa do Paiz Vinhateiro do Alto Douro” created by Joseph James Forrester, in 1843. Located near Pinhão, on the right bank of the Douro, it is one of the most emblematic properties of the region. Known for its historical connection to the Barão de Forrester, who resided at the estate, Quinta da Boavista is also known for its 36 hectares of high-quality vineyards, some of which are very old, and spread over a dazzling geometric landscape of terraces built by hand in the typical style of the region. Some terraces reach eight meters in height which, combined with the extreme conditions and the dramatic slopes, come together to provide a unique terroir.
The team at Sogevinus would be delighted to welcome press by appointment to Quinta da Boavista, once restrictions are lifted and travel is approved.
Further detail, media requests, images and interviews can be arranged by contacting Elizabeth Cook (email@example.com) or Astrid Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Spritz Marketing & PR.
Notes to editors:
Sogevinus Fine Wines: is an independent, privately owned, Douro wine producer. Sogevinus was created in the 1990s and owns an exclusive and highly individual portfolio of Port wine houses, with centuries of history between them: Kopke, Burmester, Cálem and Barros.
· Representing five centuries of wine, Sogevinus is proud of the unique identities of each of the individual Houses.
· Sogevinus is currently trading in more than 60 countries with exports making up 60% of its total wine production.
· The group produces an average of 8.8 million bottles of wine per year and owns 430 hectares in the Douro Valley, with 248ha under vine. The Douro is the oldest demarcated region in the world.
· Sogevinus owns four Douro estates; Quinta do Bairro; Quinta de São Luiz; Quinta do Arnozelo, and most recently in 2020, Quinta da Boavista.
· Sogevinus is committed to sustainable practices that seek to preserve a unique terroir in the birthplace of its wines, the Douro Valley.
· As well as securing worldwide recognition for Port production, Sogevinus has been making DOC Douro wines of exceptional quality since 2006. With a strong international position and through maintaining the wisdom of generations as well as applying the high standards of quality, DOC Douro Sogevinus wines are acclaimed by critics and specialist publications at an international level.